Reflections from C.S. Lewis' - Learning in War-Time!

 My kids were very small at that time.  I decided to go for my driving license. My elder daughter started schooling few days before I delivered the second one.  Until the second one, we walked to school. Now I was not able to bring the little one and walk under the noon sun. So I decided to go for my license.  I waited for few months so that I could leave my little one at home with someone.  I started my classes.  When I returned home it was a war zone! Yet I decided to continue.  Little one was very naughty... yet I continued. I had to pick up my daughter from school, yet I continued... 

The day came to write my exams. I appeared for the exam and miserably failed.  Yet I continued. I appeared again and got my license.  When I reached home after the ordeal all heaved a sigh of relief... But I blunt out, "What next?" 

"What?"

I said, what next.... I could go for a geared license, or a heavy duty license and much more in that line! Why stop somewhere!!

I came across this beautiful article of C.S. Lewis. Click here for the source!

As I read, I realized that whenever I was enrolled for any kind of learning, formal or informal, I had to wade the rushing waters.  




Is learning so important during war-time? in crisis? there are so many things to attend to. Can learning wait for peace time?

We live between life and death and inching towards death every moment of our lives. We live between heaven and hell, to eternity.

All our merely natural activities will be accepted, if they are offered to God, even the humblest: and all of them, even the noblest, will be sinful if they are not.

Every learning is precious in His sight if its done unto Him.  There is nothing greater or lesser. It is measured as its written in Romans 12:3 For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

If you attempted, in either case, to suspend your whole intellectual and aesthetic activity, you would only succeed in substituting a worse cultural life for a better. You are not, in fact, going to read nothing, either in the Church or in the line: if you don't read good books you will read bad ones. If you don't go on thinking rationally, you will think irrationally. If you reject aesthetic satisfactions you will fall into sensual satisfactions. 

 It made a soothing read for my soul which yearns to learn. We as disciple will always remain a learner throughout our lives – be it war time or in peace.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emojis

Anger in Christ's Love

Surrounded By Such A Great Cloud Of Witnesses